[Samba] Winbind not respecting GPO based access restrictions?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 6 13:59:09 UTC 2022

Thanks, David. So, a couple of things, given that I know for a fact that
Windows admins expect to be able to use security groups to restrict host
access:

I reiterate that sssd is consequently absolutely necessary in an
enterprise context when using Samba, particularly with Windows DCs, and
it would be helpful to have a Wiki page discussing such an integration.
I'm no longer working with Samba in this context (domain users >> people
who should have access to file server), or I would do it myself.

It would be super useful to have a Wiki page detailing exactly what
domain group policy features have been implemented. This would help
prevent situations like the one I went through a few months ago where I
was blind-sided by not being able to use domain GPOs for access restriction.