[Samba] upgrade from samba 4.13 to 4.16 broke CIFS Server Authentication

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 4 22:40:01 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-08-31 at 11:53 +0200, Ralph Boehme via samba wrote:
> On 8/31/22 11:13, William Kirstaedter wrote:
> > mainly I'd be interested in what the error in the smbd.log means,
> > and
> > how I could get a trace what exactly the netapp or the windows
> > client
> > sent to authenticate.
>
> which smbd.log? I guess you're referring to the NetAPP event log
> fragment you shared? Nobody outside NetAPP will be able to do a
> failure
> analysis based on the NetAPP log.
>
> Here on planet Samba we could ony look at at SMB network trace
> between
> client and netapp, network traces of all traffic of the netapp
> appliance
> (mainly to look at DNS, the RPC connection to the DC will be
> encrypted)
> and a log with level 10 from the Samba DC.
>
> With a bit of luck it's possible to find something where thing go
> south,
> but it's a slim chance.

I agree.  Samba not finding a viable SPNEGO mechansim is something we
might be able to fix on our side, or at least diagnose, given a network
trace.

But I think this is likely something that needs to be worked though a
commercial support channel, because with no public test case it is
going to be a pile of back-and-forth at best, and likely new code with
backing tests.

Sorry,

Andrew,

Solutions