[Samba] Upgrade to 2:4.16.2+dfsg-1nmu1~deb11.1 borks printing

L. van Belle belle at samba.org
Thu Sep 1 07:20:35 UTC 2022

Hm,,

i've been reading the thread, On this.
>>  Absolutely nothing prints except a test page submitted directly through
the CUPS web GUI

So, then yes, this has to be the link between samba and cups.
so, I suggest to enable debugging and to not get overloaded in it.

Read these first.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Client_specific_logging
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Audit_Logging
And enable debugging for 1 client, makes debugging bit more easy.

Can you also share a smb.conf and/or compare it to mine,
as im also running with this version : 2:4.16.2+dfsg-1nmu1~deb11.1 and no
problems here.

I use backend AD with point and print setup.
All printer shares are pushed through AD with \\FQ.DN.TLD\printer
And my printer had A and PTR dns records.

[global]

    # Workaround *na laatste CVE update.
    min domain uid = 0

    #log level = 1 auth_audit:3
    #log level = 0 full_audit:2@/var/log/samba_audit.log
    log level = 0

    workgroup = ADDOM
    security = ADS
    realm = ADDOM.DOMAIN.TLD
    netbios name = PRINT1

    preferred master = no
    domain master = no
    host msdfs = no

    interfaces = 192.168.1.11 127.0.0.1
    bind interfaces only = yes

    dns proxy = yes

    # Add and Update TLS Key
    tls enabled = yes
    tls keyfile = /etc/ssl/local/private/XXXXXXX.key
    tls certfile = /etc/ssl/local/certs/XXXXXXX.crt
    tls cafile = /etc/ssl/local/XXXXXXX_CA_Intermediate.crt

    ## map id's outside to domain to tdb files.
    idmap config * :backend = tdb
    idmap config * :range = 2000-9999

    ## map ids from the domain  the range may not overlap !
    idmap config ADDOM : backend = ad
    idmap config ADDOM : schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config ADDOM : range = 10000-3999999
    idmap config ADDOM : unix_primary_group = yes
    idmap config ADDOM : unix_nss_info = yes

    kerberos method = secrets and keytab

    # Renew the kerberos ticket
    winbind refresh tickets = yes

    # show domain prefix
    # set to no, dont use the default domain, output shows: DOMAIN\user
    # set to yes, use the default domain, output shows: user
    winbind use default domain = yes

    # show users with getent passwd
    winbind enum users  = no
    winbind enum groups = no

    # enable offline logins
    winbind offline logon = yes

    # check depth of nested groups, ! slows down you samba, if to much
groups depth
    winbind expand groups = 1

    # user Administrator workaround, without it you are unable to set
privileges
    username map = /etc/samba/samba_usermapping

    # disable usershares creating, when set empty no error log messages.
    usershare path =

    # For Windows ACL support on member file server, enabled globaly,
OBLIGATED
    # For a mixed setup of rights, put this per share!
    vfs objects = acl_xattr
    map acl inherit = yes
    store dos attributes = yes

    # Share Setting Globally
    veto files = /.bash_logout/.bash_profile/.bash_history/.bashrc/
    hide unreadable = yes

##### PRINT SERVER PART #######
    #enable asu support = yes

    ## Enabling spoolssd
    rpc_server:spoolss = external
    rpc_daemon:spoolssd = fork
    spoolss:architecture = Windows x64
    spoolssd:prefork_min_children = 5           # Minimum number of child
processes
    spoolssd:prefork_max_children = 25        # Maximum number of child
processes
    spoolssd:prefork_spawn_rate = 5             # Start (fork) x new childs
if one connection comes in (up to prefork_max_children)
    spoolssd:prefork_max_allowed_clients = 100  # Number of clients, a child
process should be responsible for
    spoolssd:prefork_child_min_life = 60        # Minimum lifetime of a
child process (60 seconds

# is the minimum, even a lower value has been configured)
    load printers = yes

# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
# printer drivers
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   guest ok = no
# Uncomment to allow remote administration of Windows print drivers.
# You may need to replace 'lpadmin' with the name of the group your
# admin users are members of.
# Please note that you also need to set appropriate Unix permissions
# to the drivers directory for these users to have write rights in it
   write list = root, administrator, @"Domain Admins", @lpadmin, @"Print
Operators"

[printers]
   comment = All Printers