[Samba] Upgrade AD DS from 4.9.5 -> 4.13.13, cannot resolve usernames on member server

Harald Hannelius harald+samba at arcada.fi
Mon Oct 31 13:55:18 UTC 2022

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On 31/10/2022 13:08, Harald Hannelius wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Oct 2022, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>
>>> Normally I create a new computer running the latest Debian version and
>>> then install the latest version of Samba possible. I would then join this
>>> as a DC and then, once everything is definitely running okay, demote one
>>> of my old DC's, repeat for every other DC.
>>
>> So I installed a Debian 11 computer, and Samba 4.16.6 from
>> bullseye-backports. I joined this to the AD and it looks like everything
>> went OK. 'samba-tool ldapcmp' looks good, as does 'samba-tool drs
>> showrepl'.
>>
>> Is there a way for me to actually test this "SAD3" new AD DC by for
>> instance forcing one of my test fileservers to use only this computer as
>> the DS?
>
> It is not easy, AD likes to find the best DC to use, but you could try adding
> 'password server = XXXX' where 'XXXX' the name or IP of the DC you want to
> use.

Yes, I tried that. tcpdump didn't reveal traffic to the third DC until I
rebooted the test fileserver. But Yes, everything looks OK now so I think I
can (dare) proceed with the others.

>> If testing of SAD3 looks good, the the next logical step would be to demote
>> SAD2 (as long as it's not primary)
>
> It shouldn't matter (and please stop calling it 'primary'), all DC's are

You're right, I stand corrected. It was the roles I was referring to but was
intrained in the vocabulary.

>>> Then that needs to be a 'trusted' domain with its own 'idmap config'
>>> block.
>>
>> I will get back to this, I promise. Sounds interesting, and I really need
>> to learn more. If there only was more hours per day :/
>
> I have been working on time machine for a long time now, it still doesn't
> work :-D

:)

Thank You

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020