[Samba] non-wide symbolic links broken?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Mon Oct 31 12:20:01 UTC 2022

Hi!

For quite some time, it looks like I have to always enable "wide links"
if I do use symlinks *anywhere* within any share. The problem is that
symlinks which points to a different directory, even within this same
share, does not work and are entirely ignored by samba as like it were
listed in "veto files".

  ln -s subdir/file link

even if subdir is clearly a part of this same share and subdir/file is
also within the share, this link doesn't work.

After enabling "wide links" it starts to work but that one does have
its own "fun features".

Is it intentional, or is 'follow links' parabeter has become useless?

Thanks,

/mjt