[Samba] Samba 4.16 and 4.17 ubuntu focal and jammy packages

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Sat Oct 29 16:14:22 UTC 2022

29.10.2022 19:06, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On 28/10/2022 11:28, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
..
>> Now, there's one more question. Why it is so risky to upgrade
>> to a new samba "major" release?
..
> Because Samba has an habit of removing, adding or changing things and this leads to old versions of things being left on disk and interfering with the
> smooth running of Samba. One that springs to mind is the python 'time', Samba had its own version and then removed it, but the distros didn't.
>
> Starting with a new OS, also ensures that everything is correct and nothing 'old' is there.

Well, I completely disagree with you here.

I asked about real-life reasons why samba itself, - unrelated to
packaging errors - can not keep its own stuff up and running.
Not some theoretical issues and not obvious bug which happened
in the past, but something real.

Requiring to start anew each time something changes is completely
unreasonable. We cam and actually *do* better than that.

My question was mostly to Kees who seems to have better understanding
of things than you.

/mjt