[Samba] Samba 4.16 and 4.17 ubuntu focal and jammy packages

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Oct 28 10:28:50 UTC 2022

28.10.2022 13:20, Kees van Vloten wrote:
..
>>> Why don't you use bullseye-backports??
..
> Because a single repo means a single repo-index with a single Samba version. Any apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade has the risk of going to a
> different Samba version. I want that for *all* packages except Samba.

Aha.  Now I see.  Once I update samba-backports with samba-4.17 it will be
upgraded automatically which you don't want to do. But you still want it
to be upgraded from 4.16.5 to 4.16.6.  That makes sense.

It's an interesting observation indeed.  I'll think about it.

Now, there's one more question. Why it is so risky to upgrade
to a new samba "major" release?

/mjt