[Samba] DCs demote / change IP / re-join mistakes

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Oct 29 14:31:28 UTC 2022

On 29/10/2022 15:18, Luis Peromarta via samba wrote:
> Thanks Rowland.
>
> Yes I can manage backing up / restoring I’d map.lab
>
> Question is : supposed I have 3 different idmap.ldb in my DCs, is any of them any better ?

They should all be very similar, the difference is that the xidNumber
attributes are set on a first come basis, this means that a user or
group gets the next xidNumber available and you cannot guarantee the
order that they contact the DC, so 'Domain Users' (for instance) may
have a different ID on each DC

> Would idmap.ldb from untouched DC3 be a better , more consistent one ?

Doubtful, can I try and get across that idmap.ldb has nothing to do with
your missing line, without the line, a DC will only use the xidNumber
attributes in idmap.ldb
This means that all the idmap.ldb files are viable, they are just likely
to have different ID's for users & groups.

> Should I keep the untouched DC3 and re-join DC1 and DC2 ? Would that be a good idea ?

Only if you like doing work that is pointless.

Rowland