[Samba] Samba 4.16 and 4.17 ubuntu focal and jammy packages

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Oct 28 18:34:14 UTC 2022

28.10.2022 15:57, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG via samba wrote:
> Hello MJT and fellows,
>
> we're now using the backports repository in debian bullseye for Samba 4.16.
>
> Just adding the repo to the apt sources.list doesnt work because by
> default the priority of testing package is below 500.

bullseye-backports is not testing.

I usually pin *-backports to priority 200. This way, the packages from there
are not considered by default, but once you install something from there
manually (using apt -t), it is being tracked from there from now on.

Pinning individual packages is too clumsy and difficult to maintain.
Setting pin priority for bullseye-backports to 200 does the trick
nicely. And everything will be automatic.

/mjt