[Samba] Samba 4.16 and 4.17 ubuntu focal and jammy packages

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 10:43:10 UTC 2022

On 28-10-2022 12:36, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 28/10/2022 11:20, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
>>
>> Because a single repo means a single repo-index with a single Samba
>> version. Any apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade has the risk of
>> going to a different Samba version. I want that for *all* packages
>> except Samba.
>> Of course apt-pinning helps, but it has another risk: a re-install in
>> case of some other issue fails due to pinned version no longer in
>> repo (so the problem of fixing a machine is worsened by having to
>> upgrade it a the same time).
>>
>> The only way I see this working (but maybe I am mistaken) is to have
>> a repo-index per Samba version, i.e. multiple repos, one for each
>> Samba version. That would mean 2 repos: current version (4.17),
>> previous version (4.16), I can flip the sources.list per
>> domain-controller at the moment I want to upgrade that
>> domain-controller.
>>

> There is nothing stopping you setting up a local repo just containing
> the Samba packages.
>
> Before Michael took over the Debian Samba maintenance, Samba on Buster
> was very much in the doldrums, it seemed to stick at 4.9.5 for ever.
> No doubt it got security patches etc, but it never changed version and
> there wasn't a later version available.
>
> Bullseye came out with Samba 4.13.x and for a while it looked like
> this was going to be Buster all over again. However, Michael has
> provided 4.16.x packages via backports (something that I am very
> grateful for) and it looks like that eventually the backport packages
> will be replaced by 4.17.x packages.
>
> Lets be honest, Michael could have stopped there, but he hasn't, he is
> now providing Samba packages for Ubuntu (something that Ubuntu doesn't
> seem capable/want to do).
>
> I think that everyone should be grateful for everything that Michael
> is doing, one man can only do so much.
>
> Rowland

I can't agree more, Michael is helping out in a great way.
I do appreciate that very much!

Indeed setting up a private repo and copy the package versions from
backports at the moment I want them is a way to solve my issue. I have
been thinking about that.
The reason I am asking Michael is that he providing the exact solution
to my issue for Ubuntu.

- Kees.