[Samba] Samba 4.16 and 4.17 ubuntu focal and jammy packages

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 28 10:36:55 UTC 2022

On 28/10/2022 11:20, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

> Because a single repo means a single repo-index with a single Samba
> version. Any apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade has the risk of
> going to a different Samba version. I want that for *all* packages
> except Samba.
> Of course apt-pinning helps, but it has another risk: a re-install in
> case of some other issue fails due to pinned version no longer in repo
> (so the problem of fixing a machine is worsened by having to upgrade it
> a the same time).
>
> The only way I see this working (but maybe I am mistaken) is to have a
> repo-index per Samba version, i.e. multiple repos, one for each Samba
> version. That would mean 2 repos: current version (4.17), previous
> version (4.16), I can flip the sources.list per domain-controller at the
> moment I want to upgrade that domain-controller.

There is nothing stopping you setting up a local repo just containing
the Samba packages.

Before Michael took over the Debian Samba maintenance, Samba on Buster
was very much in the doldrums, it seemed to stick at 4.9.5 for ever. No
doubt it got security patches etc, but it never changed version and
there wasn't a later version available.

Bullseye came out with Samba 4.13.x and for a while it looked like this
was going to be Buster all over again. However, Michael has provided
4.16.x packages via backports (something that I am very grateful for)
and it looks like that eventually the backport packages will be replaced
by 4.17.x packages.

Lets be honest, Michael could have stopped there, but he hasn't, he is
now providing Samba packages for Ubuntu (something that Ubuntu doesn't
seem capable/want to do).

I think that everyone should be grateful for everything that Michael is
doing, one man can only do so much.

Rowland