[Samba] Samba 4.16 and 4.17 ubuntu focal and jammy packages

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 10:20:10 UTC 2022

On 28-10-2022 12:01, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> 28.10.2022 12:59, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> 28.10.2022 12:54, Kees van Vloten wrote:
>>> The one way out to maintain controlled Samba upgrades right now is
>>> to use your Ubuntu Focal repos, since Focal is originally based on
>>> Bullseye that is likely to work, at least it has the right versions
>>> in its dependencies for Bullseye. But yeah, it sounds like a dirty
>>> hack, not really the way I want to go.
>>
>> *gosh*.
>>
>> Why don't you use bullseye-backports??
>
> No, seriously.
>
> Samba in bullseye-backports is *the same* samba as available in my
> repository
> (it is just a *bit* older for now, I'll push current version to bpo11
> tomorrow
> once current unstable migrates to testing).  But it is built
> especially on
> bullseye.  There's no need to do that strange thing...
>
> Yes, there's no 4.17 samba in bpo for now. Hmm..

Because a single repo means a single repo-index with a single Samba
version. Any apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade has the risk of
going to a different Samba version. I want that for *all* packages
except Samba.
Of course apt-pinning helps, but it has another risk: a re-install in
case of some other issue fails due to pinned version no longer in repo
(so the problem of fixing a machine is worsened by having to upgrade it
a the same time).

The only way I see this working (but maybe I am mistaken) is to have a
repo-index per Samba version, i.e. multiple repos, one for each Samba
version. That would mean 2 repos: current version (4.17), previous
version (4.16), I can flip the sources.list per domain-controller at the
moment I want to upgrade that domain-controller.