[Samba] 4.16.5 packages for ubuntu 22.04 jammy

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Mon Oct 24 12:21:35 UTC 2022

24.10.2022 15:05, Lorenzo Milesi wrote:

>> While it is definitely not any worse than current debian packages, the
>> repository
>> stuff needs quite some refinement. I'll provide actual packages once announced
>> 25-Oct security update comes out.
>
> Will you also provide the build process for the packages? I've seen the gbp [1] instructions on salsa for Debian packages, something like this?

I'm not sure what do you mean. The repository includes source packages too,
which are standard debian .dsc files with usual .orig.tar.gz/.debian.tar.gz,
which are automatically buildable.

It is more: after my first attempt of building for ubuntu and rethinking/refinement,
I don't see any reason whatsoever to *change* the source in any way, -
standard debian packages - exactly the same as used on debian - are used
currently to build ubuntu binaries (I see no reason to add "ubuntuN" suffix, -
it is the same sources as on debian).
..
> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/samba-team/samba/-/blob/master/debian/README.source.md

This file is quite a bit outdated, - I should review it for the packaging
changes I did for 4.16. But it is used to build from a git tree (since it
is exactly the same source as on Debian, the same git tree can be used too).
The procedure there is not different from building packages out of any other
git tree. But it is easier to build from a .dsc package anyway (which is,
again, the same as on debian) - for which, standard build tools of your
preference can be used.

The only possible problem spot here is that in order to build recent samba
package, you have to make recent support libraries (talloc/tevent/tdb) available
to the build.  These have to be built first (and eg for tdb, talloc is also
needed) and uploaded somewhere, or used as --extra-package= sbuild option
(or equivalent pbuilder construct or whatever tool you prefer).

/mjt