[Samba] providing samba binaries: should we use older support libs (talloc/tevent/tdb)?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Mon Oct 24 10:06:43 UTC 2022

Hi!

In the context of providing samba binaries for debian-like systems,
there's a question: if we want to have, say, samba-4.16 and samba-4.17
both be available for installation, can we have a single set of latest
and greatest support libraries (talloc/tevent/tdb), or should older
samba use older support libs, versions which were bundled with that
older version of samba?

For example, samba 4.16.5 comes with:
  talloc 2.3.3
  tevent 0.11.0
  tdb 1.4.6

while samba 4.17.1 comes with
  talloc 2.3.4
  tevent 0.13.0
  tdb 1.4.7

Can I use talloc/tevent/tdb "from" samba-4.17.1 with samba-4.16.5?

Thanks,

/mjt