[Samba] old ACL on member server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Oct 23 07:12:09 UTC 2022

On 22/10/2022 23:51, Nicolas Canonne via samba wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Sorry for the very long feed-back and thanks for your answers
>
> Issue was well with permissions on shares.
>
> New shares folders have be created with "SMB\Administrator":"SMB\domain
> users" permissions

You appear to have a word missing from the sentence above, that word is
'not', as in:

New shares folders have not to be created with "SMB\Administrator"

Never use Administrator on a Samba machine, you should be using a
usermap to map Administrator to root, you should have this line in every
Unix domain member smb.conf:

username map = /etc/samba/user.map

and /etc/samba/user.map should contain just this:

!root = SMB\Administrator

Administrator is automatically mapped to root in idmap.ldb on a Samba DC.

If you have any files/directories belonging to Administrator on any
Samba machine, I suggest you follow the above and then 'chown' them to root.

> Then, old shared files have been copied to the new shares via Windows
> client running Administrator account.
>
> Permissions on new shares are then valid.
>
> The trick is well to copy files, hoping this will help others.

No, the trick is to do it correctly in the first place.

Rowland