[Samba] 4.17?

William Edwards wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Sat Oct 22 09:27:28 UTC 2022

Kees van Vloten via samba schreef op 2022-10-22 10:36:
> 22.10.2022 00:23, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
>>> Louis has multiple versions in his repo, currently 4.14, 4.15, 4.16.
>>> Which means I can decide when I want to upgrade to a newer version by
>>> changing the sources.list. That way I can plan and test the upgrades.
>>
>> *That* is a good practical reason to have them indeed, thank you!
>> Tho, with a separate repository (like debian backports), you can
>> also do upgrade any time you prefer. You don't have that much
>> choice however.  And once new debian release is out, you can only
>> upgrade as a whole.
>>
> Samba, the domain-controller, is a very critical infrastructure
> component. If it fails nobody (including myself) can login, that's why
> I am careful with upgrades.

Depending on the environment, upgrading regularly could actually
increase uptime.

Would you rather:

- Upgrade regularly, with a small version jump (e.g. 4.15 to 4.16), and
figure out which change causes issues when there are issues?
- Upgrade incidentally, with a large version jump (e.g. 4.12 to 4.16),
spend time figuring out which version causes issues when there are
issues, then figure out which change in that version causes issues?

If you upgrade regularly, you could have issues more often. However,
those issues would be solved more quickly. Bottom line: your uptime
could actually be higher. Figuring out the difference between two
versions is easier than figuring out the difference between multiple
versions.

--
With kind regards,

William Edwards