[Samba] 4.17?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Oct 21 18:35:26 UTC 2022

21.10.2022 16:49, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:

>> I would not expect to see any package updates from Louis for sometime.
>
> I'd like to try building packages, at least for the Debian family distributions. I'm not great at packaging, but I did build some .debs in the past, so I'd like to give it a try. And now that I know Michael is on the channel, I might ping him for issues :D

What exactly do you want to achieve?

For debian itself I do provide backport of current samba for the stable distribution,
for stable systems. It is not the latest - like there's no 4.17 for bullseye currently
(as in $subject), but it will be available once it feels like 4.17 is settled down a
bit.  I think debian is "covered".

There's no issue whatsoever to provide backports for ubuntu, it is trivial to do, I
can build and upload them to my site if there's a need - together with debian packages.
Ubuntu tend to perform some modifications (like branding and changes to default smb.conf),
which definitely aren't mandatory, - just a rebuild of debian package on ubuntu will do
the trick.

I don't think there's a real need to provide older samba versions (eg 4.15 currently,
or 4.16 once 4.17 is available). Also I don't think there's a real need to provide current
samba packages for older distributions (eg debian buster) - maybe, just maybe the ubuntu
lts, but even that one is questionable, - maybe ubuntu guys can do this rather easy work.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,

/mjt