[Samba] 4.17?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Thu Oct 20 16:52:20 UTC 2022

20.10.2022 19:38, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
> While we were just talking about 4.18, another question pops up.
>
> I noticed 4.17.1 has been release this week.
>
> But I am still running on 4.16.2, the last in Louis' repo. I checked Debian backports and it has 4.16.5 for Bullseye.
> @Michael and/or @Louis is there a planning for 4.17?

I backport samba stuff from debian testing quite promptly, usually the
same day the new upload to unstable is migrated to testing, - but this
is for current 4.16.x series which is now more or less stable.

For 4.17, I already uploaded 4.17.1 to experimental (before it had
4.17.0). So far I'm a bit hesitant to upload it to unstable, due to
the amount of fixes which went to 4.17.1.  Maybe 4.17.2 will go
directly to unstable and next migrates to testing.  But so far to
me it looks like 4.16 is "better" than 4.17, - that's why I put the
latter into the experimental "distribution".

As soon as 4.17 hits testing, I'll backport it to bullseye.

Debian can't have several concurrent versions of the same package
in a single distribution, so there can be only one samba in testing,
basically. And this is the main "distribution point" for any new
stuff.

/mjt