[Samba] [SOLVED] Re: Upgrade Woes

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 15:17:14 UTC 2022

I figured it out.

I noticed a lot of 'panic_action' emails in the root account of the samba DC. Turns out samba was seg faulting when asked to produce a list of shares.

I installed gdb to try and get a stack trace (even though I've no idea what to do with it) hoping it would point to something else to try.

gdb told me it didn't have any symbols and didn't make much sense, so I tried demoting the DC and re-joining it. The process went through successfully, but the error was still there and I was no further.

After looking into the gdb error regarding missing symbols, I decided to try to do a full package update on the OS instead of just updating the sernet repositories.

I even turned the server off and on again(!)

Then it started working properly again.. This DC is also a print server, so now I've got to re-add all my printer drivers, but it seems happy again.

Lesson learnt: do whole system updates, not just the packages you want.

Thank you all for reading this far,

Tim