[Samba] Samba, Bind, and Kea DHCP

ralph strebbing blackbirdralph at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 16:29:52 UTC 2022

Hello All,

I recently came across one of the other projects of ISC when browsing
their website. That project being Kea DHCP (https://www.isc.org/kea/).

>From what I'm reading, it's a bit more modern than ISC DHCP, and we
were considering potentially switching to it. However, I wanted to
poll the list here to see if anyone has messed with this yet so far as
DNS integration etc.

Right now, with ISC DHCP there is a script that hooks into each new
lease, renewal, and expiration that updates bind and therefor Samba.
I'm wondering if the same script can be used, if it can't, does anyone
have any solutions in place? Are there any considerations we should be
aware of in general by switching out the DHCP server software?

Thanks,
Ralph