[Samba] messed up group ids

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 17 15:28:06 UTC 2022

On 17/10/2022 15:13, Peter Carlson via samba wrote:
> ok I made the recommended changes and ran net cache flush, afterwards
> Domain Users was correct, but Domain Admins not. results of "id" command
> are below
>

>>> and it cant' find all the groups while the rdp server can
>>
>> No, that is wrong, if you look closely, the rdp server is missing two
>> groups but the fileserver is showing two groups by ID only (not by name)
>
> Yes I missed the 2 BUILTIN groups, I dont know if that's a problem or
> not, after net cache flush, here are the 2 servers
>
> --------------------  RDP----------------------
> uid=2001110(SDCP\peter)
> gid=2000513(SDCP\domain users)
> groups=
>      2000513(SDCP\domain users),
>      2000512(SDCP\domain admins),
>      2000572(SDCP\denied rodc password replication group),
>      2001110(SDCP\peter),
>      2001118(SDCP\linux admins),
>      2001136(SDCP\remotedesktop)
>
> ------------------- File Server ---------------
> uid=2001110(SDCP\peter)
> gid=2000513(SDCP\domain users)
> groups=
>      2000513(SDCP\domain users),
>      10000(BUILTIN\administrators),
>      10001(BUILTIN\users),
>      2000512,
>      2000572(SDCP\denied rodc password replication group),
>      2001110(SDCP\peter),
>      2001118(SDCP\linux admins),
>      2001136(SDCP\remotedesktop)

That's better, now you have only one group not showing up by name and
there doesn't seem to be a reason for it, apart from, if I understand
correctly, the DC is running on a synology NAS. Now Samba on a synology
machine is not basic Samba, from my understanding it is an old version
of Samba with improvements from synology and as they do not make these
'improvements' public, I have no idea if they could be causing your problem.

Anyone else running a DC on a synology NAS ?

Rowland