[Samba] long scripts

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Fri Oct 14 15:17:29 UTC 2022

On 10/14/22 9:08 AM, Peter Carlson via samba wrote:
> so I am assuming that these scripts are only run on linux systems, if
> so that takes care of it not running on windows.
>
> so if I then put a login script login.ps1 or login.bat it will run on
> windows, but still try to run on linux and fail?
>
> Peter
> PS: sorry for the mis-spelling in the subject, the brain -> finger
> interface has one wire a bit loose

Windows logon scripts are not executed by Samba client group policy, so
that's not a problem.

FYI, Samba's user group policy is somewhat limited. User policies aren't
executed by samba by default, but need to be run some other way (I'm
working on fixing this though).

You can either enable them using oddjob-gpupdate:
https://github.com/openSUSE/oddjob-gpupdate
Or you can manually run the samba-gpupdate command via bashrc, or something:
/usr/sbin/samba-gpupdate --target=User -U $USER

Script Policies
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Group_Policy#Script_Policies) can be
assigned as user policies, but the Startup Script Policies cannot (these
are for the machine).

So it depends on what your needs are. You could potentially run a
machine Startup Script, which applies policies for all your users, etc.
That would be the simplest setup.

I'm happy to help if you run into any problems.

--
David Mulder
Labs Software Engineer, Samba
dmulder at suse.com