[Samba] long scripts

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Fri Oct 14 14:44:59 UTC 2022

On 10/14/22 8:21 AM, Peter Carlson via samba wrote:
> This is only partly a samba question and more a AD/GPO question
>
> I would like to have it setup via GPO that users when logging into
> windows run login.ps1 and when logging in to linux run login.sh
>
> I have found one solution requiring python to be installed and using
> one python script to detect the os and then re-act appropriately.
> However I dont want to install python on windows computers. I was
> thinking something like if computer in Linux Servers logon script =
> login.sh otherwise logon script = login.ps1, but I'm not quite sure
> how to best do this.  Maybe there is already a wiki on this that I
> can't find?

You could use Samba's client group policy for the linux client:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Group_Policy#Startup_Script_Policies
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Group_Policy#Script_Policies

Only works if you enable it on the client also:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Group_Policy#Winbind

--
David Mulder
Labs Software Engineer, Samba