[Samba] template homedir

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 14 14:33:13 UTC 2022

On 14/10/2022 15:16, Peter Carlson via samba wrote:

> This was on a newly setup server that will serve as a Terminal Server. I
> have 3 servers: DC, FileServer and xRDP.  However I re-spun the xRDP
> server and ran realm join and now it uses shortname instead of the
> longname, so it must have been something I did wrong the first time I
> joined the domain.  PS: unixHomeDirectory attribute was empty.
>
> So we are all good now.

I think that has you are using realm to join the domain, there is a good
chance that you are also using sssd and it could have been that giving
you the wrong homedir template. Samba does not produce either realmd or
sssd, so if you are using sssd and you hit this problem again, I would
suggest contacting the sssd-users mailing list.

Rowland