[Samba] Samba does not replicate attributes added via ldbmodify

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 13 06:26:49 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-10-13 at 08:21 +0200, Ralf Spenneberg wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> > > Well, the ldbmodify usedc was:ldbmodify -v -H
> > > 'DC=AD,DC=DOMAIN,DC=DE.ldb' </root/replace-proxyAddresses.ldif
> > > Does this count as modifying the files directly?
> >
> > Yes.  Your domain is now (subtly) corrupt.  Do not pass go, do not
> > collect $200. ;-)
> Ok, I already assumed something like that.
> > The file to modify it the sam.ldb file in the directory above, this
> > provides the correct interface.
> So what would have been the correct command?ldapmodify -H
> /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb < xxx.ldif?

Yes.
> > dbcheck might fix it.
> I already ran dbcheck. But it did not help. Could I try to repair the
> replication by rejoining the backup dc?

Yes, just join a new DC to the domain (you could rejoin the DC you
modified to the backup), that attribute won't replicate over and it
will all be as if this never happened.
Then demote the existing DC that you modified.
Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead, Catalyst IT   https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Samba Development and Support, Catalyst IT - Expert Open SourceSolutions