[Samba] Exchange Active Directory Topology service crashes over samba box

Ron Murray rjmx at rjmx.net
Wed Oct 12 02:24:46 UTC 2022

I'm running samba on a Debian bookworm system, connected to our AD
domain. Worked fine until a week ago, when Exchange crashed on an
"Event 4027, MSExchange ADAccess". The error message muttered something
about "Process msexchangerepl.exe: WCF request to the Microsoft
Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server
(TopologyClientTcpEndpoint (localhost) failed.

Active Directory server <my samba box> is not available. Error message:
Active directory response: A local error occurred".

This upset my boss, so I turned off all the samba daemons and disabled
them. All was fine until last night, when Exchange crashed again, this
time with "Event 1003, MSExchange Front End HTTP Proxy".

"[Unknown] An iinrenal server error occurred. The unhandled exception
was: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADTransientException: The call
to Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server
'TopologyClientTcpEndpoint (localhost)' returned an error. Error
detasils Active Direcvtory server <my samba box> is not available.
Error message: Active directory response: A local error occurred.. ---
>System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory
.TopologyDiscovery.TopologyServiceFault]: Active Directory server <my
samba box> is not available. Error message: Active directory response:
A local error occurred."

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions on how to fix
it?

Thanks,

--
Ron Murray <rjmx at rjmx.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 4D99 70E3 2317 334B 141E 7B63 12F7 E865 B5E2 E761