[Samba] shadow copy source

Nick Couchman nick.e.couchman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:28:08 UTC 2022

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 9:00 AM Piviul via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all, I use rsync snapshots to backup some shares. Each backup is a
> folder containing the same tree structure of the share where each file
> is a hard link if it is not changed from the previous snapshot. That's
> the big question: it is possibile use rsync snapshots as a source of
> samba VFS shadow copies?

I would think this would be possible, yes, you'd just need to make
sure that the rsync snapshots are put into a standard naming
convention that can be translated by the vfs_shadow_copy2 module the
date/time options it will present to Windows. You need the right
combination of the following options to parse out those rsync
directories:

shadow:snapdir
shadow:sort
shadow:format