[Samba] Windows ACLs

Bailey Allison ballison at 45drives.com
Mon Oct 3 23:45:38 UTC 2022

Really good info and good change for the wiki!

I have found in my testing that you can set acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes on the share initially but it requires the initial share permission/configuration through Windows to be done via the user rather than group initially.

It appears through Windows with it set it then sees the user as having Full Control and the group as Read and Execute on a folder that is setup to be 770 on the Linux server with it enabled, and therefore not just any member of the group can modify permissions on Windows. (ex. 770 is Full Control for user and Read and Execute for group on Windows)

With the parameter missing from the share it will then pickup user/group as the equivalent on Linux, and then any member of the group can set permissions on Windows. (ex. 770 is Full Control for user and group on Windows).

ex. /mnt/share path is owned by domain\administrator:domain\domain admins, connect to the share as administrator user and then set the permissions through Windows, rather than connect as any member of domain admins and set the permissions through Windows.

If we have acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes, and the path is owned by root:domain\domain admins, we cannot set Windows ACLs as a member of domain admins through Windows, we must change the user to be for example administrator or a member of domain admins so the path is then owned by domain\administrator:domain\domain admins, and then we can set permissions.

Of course, the change mentioned on the wiki also completely works fine however just a different method I have found in testing that also works.

Regards,

Bailey