[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Juan Ignacio juan.ignacio.pazos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 19:30:50 UTC 2022

Excellent.
Thx, for your explanation Rowland, now I can understand lots better.
I'm close to shutting down the old primary ad-dc to test if everyone can
login and next try to demote it.

Some things I want to know before demoting.

I need to make a backup of the old samba 4.1 ad-dc on the old server "DC1".
I backed up manually all the /usr/local/samba/ directory

I was thinking of using this script of samba4 on GIT, which is more updated
than the one I was using.
https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/backup-script/backup_samba4

I already transferred  FSMO roles to the new server "DC2" . Is there any
other thing I need to do before demoting the primary DC.
Anything else I must check or be careful with?

About the NEW ad-dc "DC2"
I have 4 full server backups a day on that server, do you think I need to
backup samba anyway or is this enough if something fails.

Thx in advance.