[Samba] accidentally upgraded DC to 4.17.3 ... didn't work

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Nov 30 10:58:48 UTC 2022

Am 30.11.22 um 11:19 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> On 30/11/2022 10:03, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>> starting adc1 broke DNS for the windows clients, so I had to stop it 
>> again for now
>> on adc1 I find:
>> Nov 30 10:23:26 adc1 samba[80993]:   /usr/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: ; TSIG 
>> error with server: tsig verify failure
>> Nov 30 10:23:26 adc1 samba[80993]: [2022/11/30 10:23:26.255163,  0] 
>> ../../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:85(dnsupdate_n>
>> Nov 30 10:23:26 adc1 samba[80993]:   dnsupdate_nameupdate_done: Failed 
>> DNS update with exit code 41
>> I assumed that would be cleared after some initialization phase (like 
>> last week).
> Did the new DC's nameserver point to its own ipaddress before you 
> started Samba ?

adc1 has the IP on interface "eno1"

the resolv.conf contains its own IP at first and for "adc2" 
at second ->

# resolv.conf

search arbeitsgruppe.my.tld

both DCs have several VLAN-interfaces and IPs as well

on adc2 I have

bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = lo enp0s31f6

while on adc1 these lines are currently missing -> smb.conf was created 
from scratch at the join

Last week there were numerous DNS-records added: one per VLAN ... maybe 
that is a problem, I removed them last week to run the DC in plain 
VLAN1= LAN only.

I assume I should add that binding-config to adc1 as well.

> You could try adding:
> dns update command = /usr/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --use-samba-tool
> to the DC's smb.conf and then restart Samba.

Can do, have to check with the customer first: breaking the DNS as 
before isn't good while people are working.

More information about the samba mailing list