[Samba] accidentally upgraded DC to 4.17.3 ... didn't work

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Nov 30 08:05:03 UTC 2022

Am 29.11.22 um 18:34 schrieb Michael Tokarev:
> 25.11.2022 18:38, Stefan Weichinger via samba wrote:
>> I am wondering why noone replies here.
>> Do I miss some FAQ topic maybe?
>
> It looks like no one knows what the problem is
> and from which side to come to it - that's why.
>
> A freshly built DC which has been successfully joined,
> should not have problems with replication.
>
> To be fair, myself, I completely lost track of what problem
> do you have - was it a replication problem, or some timeout
> when accessing sysvol, or something else entirely.  Either
> way, I've no idea how you're able to manage to install a
> non-working DC.
>
> Again, I, for one, haven't seen this happen here (yet), -
> my installs were unsuccessful at times, but this is always
> due to one or another obvious reason, for example some
> stale data somewhere in /var/lib/samba/ which I forgot
> to remove before a (re)join (or - the one which Rownald
> likes very much - forgot to update DNS adding the newly
> joined DC :) ).  So I don't have much experience in this
> area - dealing with a failing DC.
>
>> As I read it in that other thread: maybe I have to copy that idmap ...
>> ? Because basically that readded DC is a new DC ? If that's needed,
>> why it isn't mentioned in the wiki article?
>
> /var/lib/samba/private/idmap.tdb needs to be transferred
> together with the sysvol replication. It *is* mentioned
> in the wiki.  But this will not cause a timeout when
> accessing this DC, - it will return something like EACCESS
> (permission denied) right away, - the result, eg, a win10
> client just isn't applying GPOs, that's all.

Michael, thanks for the reply.

The state: the replication seems to work, but winbind doesn't work
correctly (afaik) on that adc1.

So shares like SYSVOL aren't accessible.

It seems I can only retry demoting, cleaning up and join again, plus
transfer that idmap.tdb.

Packages are up to date, I *should* have all necessary packages installed.