[Samba] AD DC lost sub.conf

Callum MacEwan callum at pegasusnz.com
Mon Nov 28 21:07:14 UTC 2022

Hello Team Samba

I have a Debian Samba AD DC 4.13.13 and a Debian Domain member
Everything was working fine then one day my Linux ID’s changed from UID 10000 GID 11001 to UID 3000017 and GID 100. After a little fiddling with the AD DC and Domain Memeber everything returned to normal so I tidy up the configs and reboot both machines.

After the restart nothing was working and my smb.conf on the AD DC was missing a section. I rebuilt what I thought was correct

I now have the AD DC responding normally locally but my Debian Domain member reports DC1 offline but lists users correctly  with wbinfo -u but without the domain wbinfo -g responds with nothing

[global]
bind interfaces only = Yes
              dns forwarder = 210.55.111.1
                                                                               interfaces = lo enp63s0 127.0.0.1 192.168.50.0/24
dns update command = /usr/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --use-samba-tool
netbios name = DC1
                                                                                   realm = SAND.PEGASUSNZ.COM
#wins support = yes
workgroup = SAND
apply group policies = yes
template shell = /bin/bash
#idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
#vfs objects = dfs_samba4 acl_xattr recycle
log level = 1

That is my rebuilt from memory smb.conf
It is a very small forest as it is my testing server
So I have manually checked SIDs and queried most details

I can login using Pam credentials SAND\username to AD DC in Linux shell

Callum MacEwan
https://callum.pegasusnz.com