[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Juan Ignacio juan.ignacio.pazos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 05:59:33 UTC 2022

I do not think you are getting this, you need both sets of the idmap
config lines, you have two domains, the default domain '*' and the
'OURDOMAIN' domain, so you should have these lines:

Ok thx,  i corrected the lines and now getent passwd is getting the correct
uid and gid.
Anyway I got an error when joining the domain using the command.

samba-tool domain join OURDOMAIN.ORG MEMBER -U administrator

libnet_join_precreate_machine_acct: Machine account successfully created
ldb: Unable to open tdb '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb': No such file
or directory
ldb: Failed to connect to '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb' with backend
'tdb': Unable to open tdb '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb': No such
file or directory

You will not, part of which is that 'ourserver' != 'OURDOMAIN'

Sorry was a  typing error, the data is correct on the config. I usually
change the real domain name for  "OURDOMAIN" i don't want to share private
information because the samba list is public, I changed it before and I got
confused but it is ok.
Don't pay attention to it.

Probably if you keep trying, DC2 will reply, Winbind will use the DC it
> thinks is best, this is influenced by the first nameserver in
> /etc/resolv.conf

I shutdown the old server and now shows the DC2, so I'm happy the
replication seems to work excellent.

Now about the files I'm thinking of using xCopy on windows to preserve
permissions, owners and groups of the files and start to migrate the data
to this unix member on windows.
Don't know if you know another better way, but in old times that was what I
did to preserve all directories and files and rewrite uid and gid on the
unix member.

Thx to all for that help and patience.