[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Dale samba at txschroeder.family
Fri Nov 25 21:08:25 UTC 2022

Juan,

The full idmap configuration should be

idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 3000-3999
idmap config OURDOMAIN : backend = rid
idmap config OURDOMAIN : range = 10000-9999999

Also, /etc/nsswitch.conf should include winbind on the passwd and group
lines, similar to the following:

passwd: files winbind
group: files winbind

This is all assuming you have already installed libpam-winbind and
libnss-winbind

Dale

There are other steps mentioned in the wiki

On 11/25/22 2:45 PM, Juan Ignacio via samba wrote:
> Rowland I did that setup for a new unix member server and test.
>
> [global]
>          log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>          log level = 1
>          realm = OURDOMAIN.ORG <http://OURSERVER.ORG>
>          security = ADS
>          server role = member server
>          username map = /etc/samba/user.map
>          workgroup = OURDOMAIN
>          idmap config ourserver: range = 10000-9999999
>                   idmap config ourserver: backend = rid
>

> After install everything needed and start services and join i cannot get
> nothing from getent passwd OURDOMAIN\\user
>
>   I got users if i use wbinfo -u
>
> Another thing is when i check with the command wbinfo --ping-dc
>
> I got
>
> checking the NETLOGON for domain[OURDOMAIN] dc connection to
> "DC1.OURDOMAIN.ORG" succeeded
>
> DC1 is the old ad-dc who has Samba 4.1..
>
> I want the new one DC2 why is not connected to this DC
>
> I installed  samba 4.17 from the backports repos.
>

> El vie, 25 nov 2022 a las 10:48, Rowland Penny via samba (<
> samba at lists.samba.org>) escribió:
>

>> On 25/11/2022 13:01, Juan Ignacio wrote:
>>>      Well, apart from the fact you are not getting owner and group names
>>>      now,
>>>      yes, it will work without them, you just have to explicitly ask for
>>>      them. No 'getent passwd', you have to use 'getent passwd username'.
>>>

>>> I'm getting owner and group names, when i use getent passwd i get all
>>> users of the domain.
>> That is because you have 'winbind enum users = yes' set, which you DO
>> NOT NEED.
>>
>>> And on the files I'm getting domain usernames and domain groups names
>>> when I do ls.
>>>
>>> prueba:*:3015:3004::/home/OURDOMAIN/prueba:/bin/false
>>> krbtgt:*:3014:3004::/home/OURDOMAIN/krbtgt:/bin/false