[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Juan Ignacio juan.ignacio.pazos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 13:01:14 UTC 2022

> Well, apart from the fact you are not getting owner and group names now,
> yes, it will work without them, you just have to explicitly ask for
> them. No 'getent passwd', you have to use 'getent passwd username'.

I'm getting owner and group names, when i use getent passwd i get all users
of the domain.
And on the files I'm getting domain usernames and domain groups names when
I do ls.

prueba:*:3015:3004::/home/OURDOMAIN/prueba:/bin/false
krbtgt:*:3014:3004::/home/OURDOMAIN/krbtgt:/bin/false
guest:*:3013:3004::/home/OURDOMAIN/guest:/bin/false

he problem is, Domain Users shouldn't be in the '3000' range, that
> range is supposed to be for the BUILTIN domain.

On the WIKI it says to use those values.
* *3000-7999*
DOMAIN *10000-999999*

Maybe at that moment I did not understand well what is the difference
between using the default domain "*"  or DOMAIN.
Please help me clarify this.

Is there a lot of data on the Unix domain member ?

> It will probably be easier to correctly setup a new Unix domain member
> and then drag & drop the data across.

Yes, I have a lot of info on that file server, homes and shares.
But it is virtualized and with disks in passthrough.
Creating a new virtual unix domain member and passthrough the disks is not
a difficult task for me.

The issue is how do we rewrite new uids and gids to the fs.
We should convert the current ones to the new ones by using the correct rid
range.
The only way would be to pass them through windows if I am correct and it
will take too long.

On the other hand, I haven't had any major problems with this domain member
either, I could wait to demote the old ad-dc and then accommodate a new
member.
About this demote task to the old ad-dc, can something happen with this
unix member server? I need to take care of that.

As for the idmap backend, there a few of them, but the main ones are:
> autorid
> rid
> ad

Excellent explanation, thx you.

The thing is, why am I using samba's idmap_tdb Backend for Winbind?
 idmap config * : backend = tdb
Maybe because the old ad-DC was misconfigured or something?
Or it was recommended before.
Now after those years I can't remember why I use tdb.

Any questions, please ask.

 I think I'm asking a lot sometimes, I don't like to bother with things
that may seem basic.

Thx for your patience.