[Samba] How does AD/SMB clients authenticate servers?

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 11:01:10 UTC 2022

On 25-11-2022 09:14, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Recently I learned about SPNs and its usage with AD and SMB network.
>
> In a nutshell, if there's a SPN (service principal name) stored in an AD
> for a given server (service) name, the clients (at least windows) will
> check the server validity.  This means that it will not be (easily)
> possible to substitute that service with something else, - say, to
> impersonate the service.
>
> For example, I wont be able to set up a name on my personal computer in
> the network that will be the same as the name of a file server used
> in this network, and "redirect" (steal) traffic from the official
> server to my machine, returning, say, modified executables to hack
> into other users machines.
>
> As far as I can see, when contacting some name (say, as a file server),
> windows client checks for the presence of an SPN in the AD with the
> given name (eg, when contacting name "FS" as a file server, it checks
> for FS/CIFS at DOMAIN.TLD principal in the AD, or something like this -
> the exact detail is not important by now).  If found (and such record
> is unique!), this SPN is used when contacting the server, and the
> client expects the server to prove it is him using kerberos.  So my
> "unauthorized" server will be detected easily (in order to add/modify
> SPN records, one has to have administrative rights in the AD).
>
> But if an SPN is not found, (windows) clients does not try to verify
> the "validity" of the server, so any name for which SPN does not exist
> can be used to access such server, and the server will not have to
> "prove its validity" for this name.  Including, for example, accessing
> a server by its IP address (unless there's ip.add.re.ss/CIFS at DOMAIN
> SPN is registered, of course).
>
> Does it look correct?
>
> And does linux client (samba) uses SPNs to verify "server validity"
> like this?
>
> (and it seems my setup with the same name to mean different things
> depending on the location based on overriding CNAMEs does not work
> for this reason: validity of such server can't be verified, and the
> clients can - in theory - be tricked to access wrong, malicious server
> instead of the right one, unless I'll do it some other way).
>
> Thanks,
>
> /mjt

SPN or UPN are Kerberos principals. You could say its acts as a user in
Kerberos communication. The  encrypted password for this kind of user
can be stored in the keytab. With that services can perform Kerberos
communication with the KDC to authenticate their users (Kerberos is
authentication only for authorization you need LDAP to verify group
membership).

Many services on Linux (and also on Windows) can be Kerberized. The
advantage is that you get SSO without ever transferring a password over
the wire. I am using this extensively in Apache for access to internal
web-applications and also for Dovecot to get mail without storing the
password in the mail-client but there are a lot more places where you
can abandon password interaction.

- Kees.