[Samba] smbclient -L localhost -N fails NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

Luis Peromarta lperoma at icloud.com
Thu Nov 24 10:16:44 UTC 2022

Hi all,

So I got my 4 DCs all nicely working. In 3 of them  smbclient works fine.

 smbclient -L localhost -N
Anonymous login successful

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	sysvol          Disk
	netlogon        Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.17.3-Debian)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

In the fourth one:

smbclient -L localhost -N
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

Same for:

 smbclient -L localhost -N -m SMB2
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

smb.conf is the same in all DCs (except for netbios name)

[global]
	netbios name = DC2
	realm = MAD.MATER.INT
	workgroup = MAD
	dns forwarder = 192.168.0.15 192.168.0.14
	idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
	interfaces = lo enp3s0
	bind interfaces only = yes

[netlogon]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mad.mater.int/scripts
	read only = No

[sysvol]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
	read only = No

I have no idea where the problem could be.

Sysvol is accessible from windows machines, all GPOs are loaded from this machine when it is the logon server from the windows client.

Any hint ?

LP