[Samba] Testing replication between 4 DCs

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 20:59:55 UTC 2022

On 23/11/2022 20:34, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> 23.11.2022 22:48, cn--- via samba wrote:
>> About samba always using a "full mesh". Read the changelog of samba 4.5:
>> " KCC improvements for sparse network replication
>>
>> The Samba KCC will now be the default knowledge consistency checker in
>> Samba AD. Instead of using full mesh replication between every DC, the
>> KCC will set up connections to optimize replication latency and cost
>> (using site links to calculate the routes). This change should allow
>> larger domains to function significantly better in terms of
>> replication traffic and the time spent performing DRS replication"
>>
>> Taken from here:
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.5_Features_added/changed#KCC_improvements_for_sparse_network_replication
>
> Thank you cn (hm.. is it a nick? :).  I were digging into the code,
> because it looked to me like Rowland is mistaken there.  Yes, that
> looks like it.  And the name for it is "full mesh" - I didn't know
> that.  You're exactly to the point.
>
> (I wonder if my email will come to the list, since apparently
> Rowland just blocked me instead of answering a trivial technical
> question).

No, I didn't 'block' you, I rejected your post because you are going
around in circles and I asked you not to reply, but you did.

As for 'full mesh', this is how Samba used to work, but it doesn't now,
this is also how Microsoft AD works.

Every now and again, a user pops up on here that 'knows' how Samba works
and you cannot get through to them that it is better to get Samba
working in a recommended way before making changes that may or may not
work. With this type of person, I have come to understand that whatever
I say, they know better, so I stop trying to help them.

Bye

Rowland