[Samba] accidentally upgraded DC to 4.17.3 ... didn't work

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Nov 23 08:59:07 UTC 2022

Am 23.11.22 um 06:39 schrieb Michael Tokarev:
> 22.11.2022 18:58, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>> apt-get install  -t bullseye-backports  acl attr samba
>> samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules winbind libpam-winbind
>> libnss-winbind krb5-config krb5-user dnsutils
>
> Um.  Usually you don't have to go that far route.  And more to the
> point, when you just
> remove ("uninstall") a package, its data and configuration is not
> removed, - unless
> you do "purge" instead of "remove"; even with purge, some packages do
> not perform
> a cleanup.
>
> With samba, - unless you installed package from scholelinux or something
> like that,
> which is just an awful abuse of package system, - upgrading software
> from previous
> version makes the same set of binaries as installing anew, - the
> binaries are the
> same thanks to the package management.  But with samba, when something
> is left in
> the data (/var/lib/samba or /var/cache/samba/ or /run/samba) from
> previous attempt,
> *that* one might stay on the way.
>
> When I want to try something else with samba "anew", I just remove whole
> thing
> (after stopping samba-related processes) -
>   rm -rf /var/lib/samba/* /var/cache/samba/* /run/samba /etc/samba/smb.conf
>   mkdir /var/lib/samba/private # samba is unable to create this dir
> automatically
>
> and this gives me clean/fresh state.

At first, thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Ad my "reinstall approach": I tend to be rather defensive on a
productive DC like this one. So deleting samba-related files etc is
something I avoid ... -> I would need a definitive howto for this,
because I know too little about the details. I don't want to corrupt any
AD-related information etc

-

Maybe the change from the Louis-packages to the backports-packages
and/or 4.16 -> 4.17 left some wrong packages behind or so.

I still have 2 servers to upgrade there, so I am open to suggestions
(and thankful if they work ;-) ).

> I haven't watched this thread closely (had my own pile of issues to deal
> with),
> it'd be interesting to find out what exactly didn't work.
> Unfortunately, as
> many times before, most of the time we don't know what actually happens
> "when
> it doesn't work", because people are advised to
> reinstall/rejoin/reconfigure
> from scratch, which "fixes the problem" (so it isn't even remotely
> understood
> what the original problem was).

I'd be glad to be able to spot this. Posting my steps was a try to
actually find something.

Over the day pressure built up so I decided to do the mentioned
"reinstallation". That was simply one of my last ideas (and I wanted to
go for 4.17 as sooner or later that step will be necessary anyway).

>> Seems to work now.
>> phew
>>
>> side note:
>>
>> # host -t A  adc2.arbeitsgruppe.my.tld
>>
>> host: error while loading shared libraries: libdns-9.16.33-Debian.so:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> There's a bug in bind9/host packaging somewhere, and there was a bugreport
> about libdns-9 missing, with a long discussion in there.
>
> Many years ago I was scared about huge size of NAMED and its tools and
> clumsy user interfaces of the tools, and wrote small dns library named
> udns, with its simple-to-use dns query tool, dnsget.  It works quite
> well still..  JFYI ;)

ah, ok.

I just mentioned it because it might have been related. "dig" works ok
on that machine ... I don't need the "host" command, it was just used in
some example command on the Samba Wiki or so.

thanks all, Stefan