[Samba] accidentally upgraded DC to 4.17.3 ... didn't work

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Wed Nov 23 05:39:21 UTC 2022

22.11.2022 18:58, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:

> I think I solved it.
>
> Completely uninstalled samba-related packages and dependent libraries and stuff and installed fresh from bullseye-backports.
>
> did:
>
> apt-get install  -t bullseye-backports  acl attr samba samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules winbind libpam-winbind libnss-winbind krb5-config
> krb5-user dnsutils

Um.  Usually you don't have to go that far route.  And more to the point, when you just
remove ("uninstall") a package, its data and configuration is not removed, - unless
you do "purge" instead of "remove"; even with purge, some packages do not perform
a cleanup.

With samba, - unless you installed package from scholelinux or something like that,
which is just an awful abuse of package system, - upgrading software from previous
version makes the same set of binaries as installing anew, - the binaries are the
same thanks to the package management.  But with samba, when something is left in
the data (/var/lib/samba or /var/cache/samba/ or /run/samba) from previous attempt,
*that* one might stay on the way.

When I want to try something else with samba "anew", I just remove whole thing
(after stopping samba-related processes) -
  rm -rf /var/lib/samba/* /var/cache/samba/* /run/samba /etc/samba/smb.conf
  mkdir /var/lib/samba/private # samba is unable to create this dir automatically

and this gives me clean/fresh state.

I haven't watched this thread closely (had my own pile of issues to deal with),
it'd be interesting to find out what exactly didn't work.  Unfortunately, as
many times before, most of the time we don't know what actually happens "when
it doesn't work", because people are advised to reinstall/rejoin/reconfigure
from scratch, which "fixes the problem" (so it isn't even remotely understood
what the original problem was).

> Seems to work now.
> phew
>
> side note:
>
> # host -t A  adc2.arbeitsgruppe.my.tld
>
> host: error while loading shared libraries: libdns-9.16.33-Debian.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There's a bug in bind9/host packaging somewhere, and there was a bugreport
about libdns-9 missing, with a long discussion in there.

Many years ago I was scared about huge size of NAMED and its tools and
clumsy user interfaces of the tools, and wrote small dns library named
udns, with its simple-to-use dns query tool, dnsget.  It works quite
well still..  JFYI ;)

Thanks,

/mjt