[Samba] several offices: home dirs, local resources, ...

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Nov 22 13:46:44 UTC 2022

22.11.2022 16:42, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
..
>> Maybe this limited/probematic functionality is sufficient to host just
>> a DFS-root share, to be used to locate local user profiles?
>>
> I have no clue, after I read the disclaimer, I thought that I would better stick to the advice on the wiki.
>
> I have set up lxc privileged containers (samba does not work in unprivileged containers) to separate the functionalities of DC and file-server. That
> prevents running into issues you have been warned about...

I use containers (systemd-nspawn) for this, - exactly because
people suggest not to use DC as a file server.  Systemd-nspawn
works fine, including spawning just the samba service in a new
namespace (not requiring to install whole separate OS).

But the thing is: it is the Samba DC who registers domain-wide
*file* services in DNS. The ones I mentioned already, \\domain.tld\ -
which are essential for the domain functionality as far as I can see.
If it doesn't work, maybe samba should not do that?

/mjt