[Samba] several offices: home dirs, local resources, ...

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Nov 22 13:35:05 UTC 2022

22.11.2022 16:21, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
..
> Ssource3 has more functionality for being a fileserver, whereas source4 has the focus on the DC functionality. Historically those two code branches
> lived separately to be merged properly and so it still lives on in the current source tree.

I didn't know that, haven't realized so far. Thank you for letting me know.

> That is the reason that you see all sorts of disclaimers on file-sharing from a DC.
>
> An example on the page you mention above is: "If you do use an AD DC as a fileserver, you must be aware that it can be problematic and can cause
> strange errors."
>
> I remember on one of the wiki-pages is says (or said): suitable for development environments only.

I see.

Maybe this limited/probematic functionality is sufficient to host just
a DFS-root share, to be used to locate local user profiles?

I don't see any way to have local site-specific file server so far,
at all.  There are several ways to do that, but none of them works.
This was the closest, with a MSDFS share located on a DC which points
to the local file server (regular file server, not a DC).  But you're
just ruining this almost-working way.

What *is* the way to store user profiles on a site-specific server?
I mean, if a user logs in in siteA, his profile is retrieved from
FileserverA, but when it logs in in siteB, his profile is stored on
FileserverB.  I can't specify *both* fileservers in his account
settings..

And second question is how to specify short name for a fileserver
which is also location-aware, fs=fileserverA on siteA and fs=fileserverB
on siteB -- users got used to the name "fs" to mean *local* to them
fileserver, with lots of shortcuts everywhere.  If this one is
solved, first one is solved too.

(I tried to hack DNS for this, with unbound, - it turned out their
local-data override does not provide CNAMEs; when I asked about
this, they told to use AD-provided functionality for this, - which
I'm trying to implement, so far unsuccessfully).

It already took 2 weeks for me searching, but nothing working emerges.

Thanks!

/mjt