[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Juan Ignacio juan.ignacio.pazos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:25:23 UTC 2022

Man, you don't know how happy i´m, i really thank you for your help.✿ ✿ ✿ ✿
Long time waiting to do that for more than 3 years, you guys are awesome.
It Is incredible the things you improved on Samba, I remember when I
compile samba 4 coming from 3 building it from sources because no
repositories and I needed an ad dc,  now everything looks so smart.
Can't wait to play with this new server.

Wanna ask a few more things..to be sure i don't break anything.:-)

*About Member servers who joined the olddc.*

The new server already knows that these computers are joined?
For example one of the file servers, the new server authenticates them even
if the old server is not online?

*About Roaming Profiles.*

On the old server I have some users who login and use Roaming Profiles on
windows, on the new server looking at the /etc/samba/smb.conf didn't see
any shares about Roaming Profiles.
I need to make that share and migrate them to one of the file servers?  How
can i add a share on a different samba member on smb.conf, is this possible
and correct?

*About smb.conf differences between dc1 and dc2.*

I have this options on samba config on the old server, I remember when we
did it with you because this server also works as file server.
The new server DC2 isn't resolving dns but I'm interested in that or maybe
any other suggestion.

Another thing is, I don't know how winbind works now, how we list the users
and group on different servers on linux?

workgroup = MIDOMAIN
        realm = mydomain.org
        netbios name = DC1
        dns forwarder = 200.40.220.245
        allow dns updates = nonsecure and secure
        #server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns, smb
        dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr,
netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6,
backupkey, dnsserver, winreg, srvsvc
        server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl,winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        #winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        #winbind nested groups = yes
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
#       unix charset = ISO8859-1

*About the Samba 4.16 replication.*

Far time ago, replication was pretty cryptic for samba 4.1, now i don't
know how the new server get the info from the old one.
How the new server has all the info and what happens when the primary ac-dc
fails.
Can you help me to understand a bit or send me some info about how this
works.

Thx for everything you did for me, I hope this thread helps someone else
too in the future.

Juan.