[Samba] mjt ubuntu samba packages has been updated with current samba releases

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Mon Nov 21 08:34:40 UTC 2022

16.11.2022 12:15, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:

>>   http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/packages/samba/

> Do you mind if I keep a mirror/copy of the repo? If not, what's the best way to avoid overloading your server? I suppose wget -m is not lightweight, while rsync require configuration on your side...

Hi Lorenzo!

I don't think mirroring this is useful - well, you might have
your own reasons which I don't know about, that's entirely ok.

I don't expect high load.  100 or 1000 users wont be able to
make a difference, but I *highly* doubt there will be more than
50 users here, really.

All these users will grab a dozen or so files average when
grabbing a new version, but most of the time they'll just
check a single InRelease file which is very small.

On the other hand, when mirroring, you'll grab everything,
even the files I don't expect anyone will be using - for
example all the dbginfo packages, and all combinations of
samba versions and different OS versions, including an
experimental stuff (well, this depends on how exactly you
mirror things).

This setup is up and running for years with a very high
availability percentage. I do reboot the servers though -
usually it means the site's down for a minute every several
months or so.

I'm not against mirroring, but to me it just look a bit
useless, and actually brings more load (which is not an
issue).

Thanks,

/mjt