[Samba] samba crashes windows explorer (while trying to view file permissions)

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Mon Nov 21 06:26:53 UTC 2022

19.11.2022 18:57, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
..
> I *think* this is "winbind nss info = rfc2307" setting.   With this one,
> I *have* to configure gidNumbers for every group in the AD.  But these
> groups are *not* propagated into winbindd even after multiple reload-config and
> net cache flush, some *time* have to pass...

So, the problem was with winbind nss info = rfc2307.  And commenting it out
in smb.conf and doing 'smbcontrol all reload-config' does not change things,
this is why it took so long to find out.  After restarting whole thing, the
changes do take effect and becomes visible.

It looks like quite some things needs to be changed here.

And it looks like DC mode is significantly different from other modes, where
many parameters described in the man page work differently, does not work at
all, or just break other things.

All these little discrepancies, while not bad when is faced independently, when
happens all together, makes samba to look like very unreliable thing.

/mjt