[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Nov 18 16:34:45 UTC 2022

18.11.2022 19:21, Juan Ignacio via samba wrote
> Thx, Andrew and Rowland seem awesome the new version of samba.
> Already installed samba 4.16 from the backports on Debian 11.
>
> I didn't touch anything, only Installed It.Version 4.16.6-Debian
>
> Now is time to migrate from 4.1 to 4.16
>
> The production machine is a Debian 7 with Samba 4.1 working OK.
>
> The new server is a Debian 11 with Samba 4.16.6-Debian, without any setup
> or configuration.
> root at titan:~# samba -V
> Version 4.16.6-Debian
> root at titan:~# service samba-ad-dc status
> ● samba-ad-dc.service
>       Loaded: masked (Reason: Unit samba-ad-dc.service is masked.)
>       Active: inactive (dead)

This is just a bit non-stright (there's a bug report asking to
automate this in terms of menu-point-n-click).

The thing is that samba comes with 2 conflicting services:
regular file server (smbd/nmbd) and ad-dc (samba-ad-dc).
When you install the package fresh, samba-ad-dc service is
masked because you need to configure it first.

Stop smbd & nmbd & winbind.  Mask them:
   systemctl mask nmbd smbd winbind.

Yes, stop and mask them, - you don't need them.

Check that you have samba-dsdb-modules and samba-vfs-modules
installed too, just in case, and libnss-winbind.

Join the domain with samba-tool (*removing* /etc/samba/smb.conf, -
yes, samba-tool will create it).

Review the configuration, maybe adding something.

Unmask samba-ad-dc and start it.

All these services comes in a single package. I don't quite
like it, but this is what we have, and it's difficult to do
something with that now.

I mean, it'd be more productive to have, say, samba-fileserver
package and samba-ad-dc package, with semi-automatic setup and
service enablement/disablement for the given services - by
splitting them now I'll break systems on upgrades.

BTW, it's interesting how other do set up samba ad-dc on
debian and debian-like systems.

Thanks,

/mjt