[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 18 04:03:37 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-11-18 at 00:58 -0300, Juan Ignacio via samba wrote:
> Sorry, i didnt want to ignore you Rowland.
>
> I had understood that you wanted me to update to the latest version
> of debian.
>
> It's no problem for me to do a clean install with Debian Bullseye and
> the latest version of samba in the repositories.
>
> I also feel that it is the best I can do.
>
> If I can install samba 4.16 from the repositories it will be what I
> will do without a doubt.
>
> The topic will be.. how do I migrate the entire scheme from samba 4.1
> to 4.16 on the new server.
>
> I'll let you know tomorrow when the installation is ready and if you
> can help me to migrate.
>
> I appreciate all the help and i apologize if I couldn't understand
> something.

There is good reason to go to the latest Samba 4.16 as we have some
improved code to cope with replications from older servers in that new
version (I wrote that only a few months ago and it got backported to
the latest Samba 4.16).

This is for replication with DRS, eg joining a new DC to the domain.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions