[Samba] several offices: home dirs, local resources, ...

Norbert Hanke norbert.hanke at gmx.ch
Thu Nov 17 23:25:24 UTC 2022

Hi Michael,

Location-specific DFS might help you: an UNC path looks the same across
all offices from the Windows client side, but it is resolves specific
for the office it is being accessed from.

The concept is explained in Microsoft terms here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/dfs-namespaces/dfs-overview
.

Concluding from a different mail thread, you are working on AD sites
reflecting different offices. Once you have that working - site-specific
AD-DCs in the various offices of your company, it will not be a big step
to get site-specific "Folder Targets" (in Microsoft terms) implemented.
E.g. \\your.domain.fqdn\profiles\userA will point to a share hosted in
the office of that user, or even \\your.domain.fqdn\profiles could be
site-specific. Technically on the samba DC it's just a matter of a few
entries in smb.conf plus symbolic links in the file system of the DC.

I tried to get DFS running with Samba DCs a few years ago. I was not
successful, and because it was not important for my use case I did not
try for long and gave up. In theory it should work, and maybe one or the
other bug might have been resolved in the meantime.

Maybe that helps?

And BTW, thank you for all your hard work for the Debian samba packages!
You're doing a big favour to the samba community.

Regards, Norbert