[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Thu Nov 17 20:04:18 UTC 2022

17.11.2022 22:42, Juan Ignacio via samba wrote:
> Rowland I upgraded the server to Debian 11, samba still on 4.1.
>
> The service is reporting some errors.
>
> I'm ready to start to update samba 4.1 to 4.16.
>
> # service samba4 status
> ● samba4.service - LSB: start Samba daemons

Upgrading debian packages across releases is not supported.
You either upgrade jessie->stretch->buster->.. (if I remember
the codenames right), or you install a new server and migrate,
as Rowland suggested.  Or you remove old samba completely
(purge) and install new after upgrading the server.

While samba itself can be upgraded right to current version,
but the packaging is not prepared for this. In particular,
"samba4" startup script has been there when debian moved from samba3 to samba4. It's been renamed to "samba"
a few releases ago, and that rename has been removed in subsequent
releases. So if you upgrade from debian samba 4.1 package to
debian samba 4.16 package, you'll have two startup scripts
which will conflict with each other.

>       Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/samba4; generated)
>       CGroup: /system.slice/samba4.service
>               ├─2343 /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba -D

usr/local/ really?

This is not a debian package.