[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 17 19:56:55 UTC 2022

On 17/11/2022 19:42, Juan Ignacio wrote:
> Rowland I upgraded the server to Debian 11, samba still on 4.1.

Why ?
I suggested creating a new computer running Debian Bullseye (11), which
would get you 4.13.x .
You could then join this to to your domain as a new DC.

Once everything is working correctly, you could then upgrade to 4.16.6
by adding another new Bullseye DC running Samba from backports, this
will get you 4.16.6

I cannot recommend the method you appear to be trying, which appears to
be upgrading the OS (and somehow keeping the existing version of Samba)

I feel your method is bound to fail, there is just too much difference
between 4.1.x and 4.16.6

Rowland